What is Rosemary?
Rosemary is a fragrant evergreen herb native to the Mediterranean, it is used as culinary condiment to make bodily perfumes and it have tons of potential health benefit, Rosemary is a member of the mint family lamiacease, along with mayn other herbs such as oregano, thyme, basil and lavender.
The Scientific Genus name (rosmarinus) comes from the LAtin Words for "dew" ROS and belonging to the Sea ( Marinus ) this referring to the location where we usually find this plant , it usually grows in native climates and its blue flowers.
History of the Rosemary
First mention of this Plant is about 5000 BC on cuneiform stone Tabelts , that is more than 7000 Years from now, after that we didn't hear much about this plant expect from Egyptians who used it in Burial Rituals which is very interesting but the more interesting is the mention after that by the Greek Botanist The Great Pedanius Dioscorides who talked about rosemary in his most famous Writing De Materia Medica, one of the most influential herbal books in History.
Rosemarny and the Biblical Land - The Holy Land & More
- According to one Story The Virgin Mary as she fled to Egypt she sheltered next to a rosemary bush, when she threw her blue cape on the bush to dry, the white flowers turned to blue, origin in legend of the blue flowers and the name "Rose of Mary"
- Rosemary something that always have been in connection with memory for long time, it is also believed to strengthen the memory, in literature and local folklore it is an emblem of remembrance and fidelity.
- Tradition of Rosemary is seen today in funerals, guests wearing a sprig of rosemary and throwing a spring on the Coffin
- The Planet has been used as a symbol for remembrance during war commemorations and funerals in Europe and Australia
- Mourners would throw Rosemary into Graces as a symbol of remembrance for the dead
- Greek Students would put braid garlands in their hair, herb of Crowns to help them improve their memory
- mentnioned in one of shakespeare's plays by the Character Ophelia saying " There's Rosemary, That's for rememberance"
- if New Married would plant a rosemary branch on their wedding day and it grew that would be a good omen for future
- Legend Says that it lives 33 years the exact length of Jesus Christ Life on Earth
- Romans always decorated their Statues with rosemary, as for them it signified stability.
- Romans placed a sprig under a pillow to prevent bad dreams or hung it outside the home or planted it in the garden to repel away evil spirits
On our Store we sell many Oils that have rosemary in them make sure to check them out or contact us if you need assistant, God bless.